Do you need a lawyer to help with your immigration case? We recommend the services of Sound Immigration, an immigration law firm serving clients across Washington State and around the country.

I-601 hardship waivers.

To become a permanent resident (green card holder), an immigrant must show that he or she is admissible. The considerations that make a noncitizen not admissible include: criminal acts, lying to the immigration service, and staying in the U.S. without papers. Even if an immigrant is “inadmissible,” in some cases it is possible to ask for a waiver, meaning you ask for an exception to the general rule. These waivers require you to prove that it would be an “extreme hardship” to your U.S. family members if you were not allowed to become a permanent resident and remain in the U.S. Sound immigration helps families prepare strong I-601 waiver cases. 

I-751 waivers.

If you become a resident based on a recent marriage (less than two years) you become a “conditional” permanent resident (green card holder). Normally, you would file a petition with your husband or wife two years later to become a full permanent resident. If the marriage ends before your petition is filed – or your spouse refuses to cooperate with your petition – you may still be eligible to become a permanent resident.


U-Visas are available to certain crime victims. For someone who meets all qualifications the U-Visa is a pathway to lawful permanent residence (a green card) and then to U.S. citizenship. To be eligible for a U-Visa all of the following must be true:

  1. You are the victim of a crime. That crimes needs to be one of the categories for U-Visa designated crimes. See the list below.
  2. You suffered “substantial physical or mental harm” as a result of the crime.
  3. You have information about the crime.
  4. You were helpful to a law enforcement investigation off the crime.
  5. The Crime occurred in the US or violated US laws.